cooking class & meal kit
MMSD Black Excellence Life Readiness Course
Thursdays | October 7th, 14th, 21st, and 28th | 5pm - 6:15pm via zoom*
*a recording will be available if you can't make the live class*
Back for a third session, we're excited to partner with the Black Excellence Program of the Madison Metropolitan School District, to offer a fantastic and free 4-week virtual cooking experience taught by outstanding Madison Area Black chefs to over 150 students (age 11-17) that are part of MMSD's Black Excellence program.
Each week in October, students and their families will receive a Meal Kit for four with corresponding course pack and will participate in a virtual, hands-on cooking class. Our diverse instructors will teach them how to make the course pack recipes step-by-step. High-quality, local ingredients will be sourced from area farms, with a special effort to get as many supplies as possible from Black and women-owned farms and food producers. Additionally, students will follow the progress of the growing season through weekly virtual farm "field trips" with our Chef-in-the-Field Yusuf Bin-Rella.
In June, we served 175 students and their families! For October, we have 79 already registered (with more registrations coming in on our waitlist), but are limited to 75 in the MMSD budget. We’re seeking additional funding to allow us to open 50 additional seats in the October session, so that we can serve a total of 135 students.
Can you help us extend this experience to more families? By signing up and sponsoring another family, more students will have the joy of learning through the experience of cooking!
$250 would be full sponsorship for one student for the 4 week session. And any amount of support is gratefully received. Thanks for making a difference for these students!
● 4- week class series including meal kit delivered directly to students' homes, live Zoom cooking class taught by a local instructor and, a colorful course pack with all the recipes the students will be preparing.
● The basics of meal planning, sourcing and selecting ingredients, safe food handling and storage, cooking techniques and kitchen skills.
● Students will experience virtual farm “field trips” each week, watching the season progress at a local farm, and see where the produce and proteins in their meal kits come from. This program will be supporting several area farms owned by POC and/or women.
● Since healthy eating is an all-day event, each weekly meal kit will include a few quick and easy recipes for snacks and treats in addition to the main menu.
● Students cook recipes from beginning to end with the meal kit ingredients, and get immediate feedback about their efforts, with a tasty reward at the end!