cooking class & meal kit
MMSD Black Excellence "Life Readiness" Course
Thursdays | June 3rd, 10th, 17th, and 24th | 4pm - 5:15pm
Rising 3rd - 12th, younger siblings welcome
Sunday, May 16, 2021
Back for a second year, we're excited to partner with the Black Excellence Program of the Madison Metropolitan School District, to offer a fantastic and free 4-week virtual cooking experience taught by outstanding Madison Area Black chefs.
Each week in June, students and their families will receive a Meal Kit for four with corresponding course pack and will participate in a virtual, hands-on cooking class. Our diverse instructors will teach them how to make the course pack recipes step-by-step. High-quality, local ingredients will be sourced from area farms, with a special effort to get as many supplies as possible from Black and women-owned farms and food producers. Additionally, students will follow the progress of the growing season through weekly virtual farm "field trips" with our Chef-in-the-Field Yusuf Bin-Rella.
● 4- week class series including meal kit delivered directly to students' homes, live Zoom cooking class taught by a local instructor and, a colorful course pack with all the recipes the students will be preparing.
● The basics of meal planning, sourcing and selecting ingredients, safe food handling and storage, cooking techniques and kitchen skills.
● Students will experience virtual farm “field trips” each week, watching the season progress at a local farm, and see where the produce and proteins in their meal kits come from. This program will be supporting several area farms owned by POC and/or women.
● Since healthy eating is an all-day event, each weekly meal kit will include a few quick and easy recipes for snacks and treats in addition to the main menu.
● Students cook recipes from beginning to end with the meal kit ingredients, and get immediate feedback about their efforts, with a tasty reward at the end!
Note: Youth under the age of 14 must have a parent present to participate. Please register each student separately. Households with multiple students will receive a meal kit sized for their household, students will be expected to work together to prepare the meals. Each meal prep kit serves 4 people, households with 5 or more will receive 2 kits. Students must be in the Madison Metropolitan Area to receive supplies, and spaces are limited.